- 1 cup Water (or more if your cat will eat it with more water)
- 2 Eggs. Use the yolk raw but lightly cook the white (soft boiling them works well) (optional – if your cat won’t eat the food, try removing the eggs. Some cats just don’t like them.)
- 5,000 – 10,000 IU Fish oil (5-10 capsules of the average 1,000 mg capsule) Fish oil is a good source of essential fatty acids. Do not use COD liver oil!
- 400 IU or (268 mg) Vitamin E (powdered E in capsules is the easiest to use)
- 50 mg Vitamin B-complex (capsules or tablets)
- 2,000 IU Taurine (use powdered – either in capsules or loose)
- 1 tsp Morton Lite salt with iodine
- 4 oz chicken livers per 3 lb of meat/bones/skin
- 2 1/3 tbsp tablespoons bone meal
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, with skin, bones removed (do not remove fat or skin – these are necessary ingredients for kitty health!)
- Bake (at 350 degrees) the chicken/turkey thighs and liver leaving ~50% of the thigh meat raw. (The time needed varies depending on how thick the thighs are but is usually ~15 minutes, give or take.) The liver will be cooked more than the meat which is fine.
- Remove from the oven and put in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Remove some of the raw meat from the bone for chunking (for the version in the picture, I used a grinder, if you use meat shears or a knife to “chunk” the meat – cutting it into small pieces about the size of a dime, it will look like the second picture). The bigger, the better. Keep in mind that raw meat is more tenacious (and better for teeth) than cooked meat. Make sure that you include the skin and all the fat!
- If using eggs, make sure you cook the whites (the yolks can be cooked or left raw). Break the egg into small pieces so that it incorporates into the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix together the meat/liver/skin, egg whites, and fat drippings in one large bowl. Placed mixture in the refrigerator while the supplements are mixed up.
- Combine the water, egg yolks (if you only cooked the white versus the whole egg), vitamin E, vitamin B-complex, taurine, salt, bone meal, and fish oil with a whisk. Note that it is helpful to put the fish oil capsules in warm water in advance of mixing up the supplement slurry. It takes about 15 minutes for them to dissolve and I use my hand to make sure that all of the oil is squeezed out of each capsule. Some people poke the fish oil capsules with a pin. It is ok to leave the capsules in the water. Most cats readily eat them but if your cat is not fond of fish, then you may want to remove them.
- Pour the supplement slurry into the meat/skin/liver/egg mixture. Mix very well.
- Portion into containers and freeze. Leave at least 3/4″ of head space to allow for expansion.
- Ideally, the food should only be in the refrigerator (in a completely thawed state) for 48 – 72 hours so keep that in mind when choosing your container size. The average cat eats about 3.5-6 ounces per day.
Do not feed this diet to a cat with severe kidney disease per Dr. Pierson. Do not allow your cat to go longer than 24 hours without eating.